Friday, April 1, 2011

Opening Day

To say there's something special about Opening Day is ridiculous.  It's more than special.  It's tradition, a transition between the bleakness of winter and the joy of summer, it's a day when every team is hopeful that they'll be finishing their season raising a trophy in November.  Well, every team except the Cubs....and the Royals....and the Pirates...and this year, the Mets....

I love the Cubs.  And while opening day is exciting, I don't expect the Cubs to win the World Series any more than I expect to win the lottery.  I would love to, and would welcome it with such joy, but I don't expect it to happen.  So today when Ryan Dempster takes the mound and throws the first pitch of the season, I will cheer, I will be happy, and I will hope that the fun of the game overpowers the need to follow a winner.  Lovable losers exist all over the country, in every sport.  I hope everyone who follows them has a happy Opening Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment