Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Facing the End...

The Oprah Winfrey Show ends on May 25th....but you knew that already....
Whether you like her or not, you have to admit she has made a huge impact on lives and pop culture.  Everyone knows who she is.  Everyone knows of her generosity.  Everyone knows her television show has been on for 25 years...if you didn't know these things, wake up, take heed and find out what you've been missing before it's too late.  The lessons she has taught us are many.  You have the power to be the person you want to be.  YOU have the capacity to forgive, to heal and to love.  She and Gayle King have shared their friendship with us and reminded us of our BFFs and all the fun we have together.  One of Oprah's favorite quotes from Maya Angelo is, "people will always show you who they are.  Believe them the first time."  I love that.  Her guests have been the celebrities we love, the controversial figures we needed to learn more about and the everyday people we were inspired by.

I will be watching on May 25th, and yes, I will be have a little lump in my throat and tear in my eye.  Good-byes are just not my thing.  While Oprah will do many things on OWN, I will miss the consistency of a show that's aired every day since I was 20 years old.  While I didn't watch it all the time, I knew it was there.  Thank you, Oprah, for the lessons, the laughs and the inspiration.  I wish everyone was a little more like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment